Date: 1st June 2007 at 7:42am
Written by:

Colchester United have informed the press that it is still far too early to conclude whether or not Chris Barker will join the club full-time.

The full back, who spent last season on loan from fellow Championship side Cardiff, has said he will be “waiting by the phone” for a call from Colchester after he was transfer listed last month.

The listing, however, was thought to be a potential stumbling block over any future deal, because that would mean cash-strapped Colchester having to pay a fee for his services.

Yesterday, however, the club insisted through Barker that a switch could still take place, despite there being no further developments toward resolving the situation.

The 27-year old said: “’I’ve not spoken to anyone yet but I was very happy at Colchester.

‘I’ve said before that I was keen to sign on a permanent basis back in January but that didn’t work out.

‘But in a way it’s too early after the season has finished to know.

‘It’s just the way it happens at this time of year.

‘Sometimes in football you can just get a call and it all happens in the space of about 12 hours.’

Barker has been informed by Cardiff that he is surplus to requirements, although may yet return to action for the Ninian Park side.

‘I wasn’t surprised I was transfer-listed,’ said Barker.

‘I had been out on loan for most of the season but I still have a year left on my contract.

‘I think Cardiff report back for pre-season training on June 28 and there’s still a possibility I could playing for them again next season.

‘I’m just looking for a club that shares my ambition.’