Date: 4th November 2006 at 8:29pm
Written by:

Former Swansea City winger Kevin McLeod’s second-half strike gave Colchester the lead, only for the divisions top score Michael Chopra to level after a slip from Pat Baldwin.

Super sub Jamie Guy came on with 10 mins to go, to restore Colchester’s lead, before Manachester United loanee Ritchie Jones was felled by Stephen McPhail for Jamie Cureton to score from the penalty spot. McPhail was dismissed for a proffesional foul.

Colchester started the brightest with Jackson firing a free-kick over from the edge of the box, and striker Jamie Cureton’s 20-yard drive went just wide of the post in the ninth minute.

Cardiff were having little joy although Scimeca managed to get a shot on goal in the 30th minute, and striker Chopra missed a decent chance to give Cardiff the lead when he fired wide from six yards.

Colchester continued to create chances with Karl Duguid shooting straight at Alexander from the edge of the penalty area, before Parry’s free-kick forced a comfortable save from United’s goalkeeper Aidan Davison.

Straight after the restart Cardiff came close to breaking the deadlock when Campbell fired against the crossbar from 12 yards.

However The U’s then took the lead in the 49th minute when McLeod slotted home from close range after Greg Halford’s dangerous cross, which was the result of another great move by the home side.

Jackson almost doubled the home side’s advantage minutes later when his shot was saved by Alexander.

Cardiff equalised in the 56th minute, with substitute Willo Flood whipping in a dangerous cross which defender Pat baldwin managed to stop dead only for Chopra to slot home from close range.

Colchester retook the lead as Kemal Izzet’s cross was fired home from 12 yards by Guy.

The home side then secured the victory in the dying stages when Cureton slotted home from the penalty spot after McPhail – who was dismissed for the challenge – had brought down Jones.


5 Replies to “Colchester v Cardiff”

Comments are closed.