Date: 16th July 2009 at 9:10pm
Written by:

Colchester Chairman and owner Robbie Cowling has admitted the club is still searching for a new striker as the Essex side look for a new source of goals to kick-start the 2009-10 promotion push.

He said United have had difficulty in tempting a finisher to transfer, after this week’s revelation, here, that Colchester have so far failed in seven different bids for front-men this summer.

One target was Shrewsbury forward, Grant Holt, but the other six remain largely mysterious as the U`s continue being linked with several potential players.

Cowling, speaking on commercial radio station, Dream 100 FM, during a new club-dedicated chatshow, said: “There`s a shortage of good strikers and the difference this year is there`s a lot of big teams in League One, arguably the best competition for that`s ever been.

“It`s going to be really difficult this year and perhaps the defence is going to be goals.”

The U`s had hoped to announce a signing at the end of last week, but now Cowling has primed fans to expect an announcement soon.

Clive Platt, audaciously linked with an Norwich City by the papers and Sky Sports on Wednesday, has been the only attacking player talked about in transfer terms this week.

Cowling added: “If we`d had goals last year, we would have done a lot better; we knew that`s something we needed to address, but it`s the same all around. We`re fishing in the same pool as many clubs and that`s quite difficult.

“It`s been hard work but the game`s not over yet. We believe we will have news in the next few days.”


Comment below, or comment on this article in the forum. Not yet a member? Don’t panic, click on the banner below to join in.




We want to know YOUR thoughts


VITAL COLCHESTER; YOUR VOICE, YOUR CHOICE!


VITAL COLCHESTER IS 100% UNOFFICIAL – FOR THE FANS, BY THE FANS!


Follow us on Twitter



Supporing Colchester Unitied, pride of Essex!






 

One Reply to “Cowling: Unlucky Seven But Striker News Soon”

Comments are closed.