Date: 10th November 2014 at 5:13pm
Written by:

Colchester faced one of those real FA Cup ‘banana skins’ of a tie on Sunday afternoon but we proved too strong for Gosport Borough in the end.

With Colchester having to go to Privett Park for our FA Cup first round tie with Gosport the chances of an upset were even greater but we proved too strong as we ran out 6-3 winners.

Tony Humes couldn’t fault his players after our efforts made sure we got through with us doing this with some degree of ease with our preparations for this game no difference than any other but some of the younger players would have definitely learned something from this.

After the game he told the media: ‘I was really pleased with everything that happened. I thought we looked comfortable and the players have done terrific.

‘How we prepare for games is the same week in, week out, no matter who we’re playing.

‘It was a great atmosphere and it’s about our young players learning to play in different environments and experiences.’

Gavin Massey (14), Sanchez Watt (21) and a penalty from Freddie Sears (26) had us in complete control with half the first half played, just before the break Justin Bennett (39) gave Gosport hope when he made it three-one.

A minute into the second half Alex Gilbey (46) restored the three goal cushion Justin Bennett (53) again reduced the deficit before Sears’ (78) second wrapped it up. Injury-time goal from Gosport’s Lee Wort and our sub Sammie Szmidics completed the six-three scoreline.

The boss has said that he’s now looking for us to get a game at the Weston Homes Community Stadium in the second round, but will take who we get with him eager for us to test ourselves against a bigger club for the players to be challenged again.

This site is looking for an editor (at least a contributor or blogger), so if you’re a fan that can offer us a genuine opinion we would love to share it with the masses!

To find out more ***CLICK HERE***

To email your own unique article/blog for publishing ***CLICK HERE***