Date: 23rd September 2006 at 4:58pm
Written by:

Colchester United extended their unbeaten run to five games at the Walkers Stadium today, earning a point away from home, and keeping their first clean sheet of the season; a result which saw them climb a place to 15th.

The first half saw both defences on top with the U`s determined to build upon their recent good form and started brightly, only for their hosts to come more into the game as the half wore on.

Garcia, Iwelumo and Cureton all went searching for the opening, however the Foxes defence stood up to balls played into to them by the Colchester midfield. On the contrary the foxes were having the same problem at the other end and found the Colchester defence determined to extinguish any threat that they had to offer.

Half time came and went with the U`s looking to take the game to their opponents, pressing early from the restart skipper Duguid could only watch as his cross was intercepted on its way to top scorer Cureton. The Foxes had to dig deep to clear the resulting corner, with Colchester searching for the breakthrough.

Halford started a move by carrying the ball forward only to lay it off to Watson who passed to Cureton. Cureton then played skipper Duguid in, only to watch his shot sail just wide of the Foxes far post.

The U`s continued to attack with Duguid in the thick of every attack it seemed that it was only a matter of time before the visitors would score. Realising the danger Leicester Manager Rob Kelly replaced Stephen Hughes with former Northampton man Josh Low just before the hour, Kelly introduced Richard Stearman at right back in place of Darren Kenton four minutes later, the changes had little impact on the remaining 30 mins of the game as Colchester continued to press the Leicester defence, and particular their right wing.

Garcia with his strength and pace continued to make headway, however he failed to find the killer final ball. Duguid and Halford went close, Halford was unlucky to see his header go over and skipper Duguid shot at the keeper.

Iwelumo was pulled back whilst trying to make way in the box, only for the referee to wave away appeals for what seemed a stone wall penalty.

Leicester attacked towards the end but couldn`t make any headway as the men from Essex bought home another point, a draw seemed a fair result and indeed a well earned one away from home.

The U`s can look forward with confidence to their Home derby against Ipswich Town on Friday Night in front of the Sky Cameras.